Saturday, August 8, 2009

Baby in tow: gear



One of the most difficult things in preparing for the trip was figuring out what to bring, what I could leave behind, and what I could buy there.

I brought:
--a stroller (indispensible--carried all the other stuff, and occasionally the baby)
--a carseat (which I didn't end up using--doesn't work on public transportation, but if I had ended up needing a taxi, would have wanted it)
--diaper bag (which doubled as a purse in the airport--I used the conference bag once we arrived)
--suitcase

I used the carrier car seat even though Chiquita was pushing the limits because it fit in the stroller. So going through the airport, I had the carseat on the stroller with Chiquita in the carseat, the diaper bag under the stroller, and was pulling the suitcase. Cumbersome but it worked. No way I could have maneuvered a pack and play too.

I also brought:
--a wrap carrier (an evening walking tour was part of the conference, and the location didn't look stroller-friendly)
--breast pump (but the one bottle I pumped was never consumed)
--two days of diapers and baby food
--spoons
--a few favorite small toys and her "loveys"

I wished I had:
--my cell phone charger. I needed to have my cell phone on when the babysitter had Chiquita, so I didn't get to talk to my family as much as I would have liked.
--a good bib. The disposable ones were useless; the tabs on the back had no stickiness, and Chiquita ripped them off before I could get any food in her mouth.

My plan was to buy diapers and food when we got there. Turns out this was a bigger deal than I anticipated--there was NO shopping closer than a mile away. We found some, but it was a considerable time drain. So my advice is MAKE SURE THERE IS SOMEWHERE NEARBY TO BUY WHAT YOU PLAN TO BUY.

I didn't bring a pack n play. After striking out in the "borrow from friends or churches in the area" category, I "rented" one from someone on Craig's List. This worked out ridiculously well, as the person also gave me a ride to our accomodations (and back to the airport) for about the same price as cab fare.

If you've brought baby before, what gear was helpful? What didn't you use?

3 comments:

  1. If the baby is small and your suitcase is large, you can use the *empty* suitcase sitting on the floor, lined with a blanket from home as a portable crib. A large drawer pulled from the hotel dresser also works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we use diapers.com to order diapers, food, formula and wipes we need for a trip & have it shipped. You can send a box to yourself c/o the hotel and it will be waiting for you when you get there!

    Also, even if you sleep with your baby, most hotels will provide a portable crib/packnplay, which makes taking showers, getting dressed, etc easier with a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, for a young toddler, we like the ergobaby carrier. It's less bulky that some others & my daughter can sit up unlike a sling, see the world and is very content. I recommend it for strolling the conference or social occasions.

    ReplyDelete